We help Americans living abroad to become US tax compliant in an organised way
and avoid unnecessary double taxation.
Based on your personal situation, we introduce you to the appropriate US tax advisor in our AOS network who will make you a tailor-made offer to help with your tax filings free of charge and free of any obligations.
US CITIZENS LIVING ABROAD HAVE A US TAX OBLIGATION
All US citizens have a TAX and Foreign Bank Account Registration (FBAR) obligation, wherever they live or work in the world. This is governed by the American law FATCA and enforced by intergovernmental agreements between many countries and the US. The tax in the country of residence can be offset against the taxes owed in the US. This means that you almost always have to file taxes but don’t necessarily owe any tax.
Currently, the IRS has an amnesty program (Streamlined Procedure), which allows people to file without the risk of penalties. It might be good to know that in case the IRS comes knocking at your door rather than the other way around, the Streamlined Procedure is no longer applicable.
OUR KNOWLEDGE CENTER
In our online US taxes knowledge center you can find information on US taxes for Americans living abroad. The most frequently asked questions:
- How does the USA tax it's citizens?
- What is the FATCA?
- I got a FATCA letter from the bank, now what?
- What about the tax treaties?
- Can I renounce my passport and never file?
- Do I owe taxes in the US?
- I have never heard about this obligation will I be fined?
- What is the "Streamlined Procedure"?
- How do I obtain a SSN (social security number)?
- What is the FBAR?
The information on AmericansOverseas.org is meant as a helpful guideline, but by no means should you take any action based on this advice before consulting a US tax expert
INTRODUCTION TO A SPECIALIZED TAX ADVISOR
A personal advisor from the AOS network helps you to make informed decisions on any tax topic that is important for your personal situation. We can help you to get connected to the best suitable Tax Advisor from our screened and carefully selected specialist partners.
A Tax Advisor of the AOS network will help you to:
- Determine which tax obligations you have in the US
- Understand applicable tax treaties between your country and the US
- Make an overview of the tax obligations for your partner and siblings
- Make an overview of the tasks that need to get done in order to file
- Define the information you need from your bank accounts
- Determine which of your stocks or participations are needed to be included in your file
- Streamline your investment portfolios to American standards
Advisors in the AOS network all have extensive experience with IRS procedures such as Streamlined and the OVDP, possess a CPA (Chartered Public Accountant) degree and are IRS-registered and/or an IRS-enrolled agent. On average they have a minimum of 5-10 years of experience in handling international taxation challenges for Americans living abroad.
We continually expand and optimise our network based on the feedback we get from our own users. We make agreements with all of our partner companies to reduce initial rates and request advisors to offer flat fees. These reductions are divided between our users (you) and Americans Overseas. This means you are not paying for our commission while still receiving a reduced initial rate. As our network contains many advisors, we maintain a completely independent role.